Tarmac Cement and Lime Ltd
Aberthaw Cement are situated in the Vale of Glamorgan and are one of Tarmac’s largest cement operations, contributing some £6million to the economy annually.
The site itself produces cement and transports it from the site and carried to destinations around the UK with the use of Road and Rail.
With an ongoing programme of new engineering projects and continual improvements, Tarmac engaged Bond Demolition Ltd to carry out complex, high level demolition in and around live plant. Works included the demolition of the redundant CC06 Dust Plant, External conveyor, support structures together with the internal strip out of the retained conveyor.
Piecemeal demolition was carried out utilising access equipment and mobile cranes, with gas / oxygen cutting used to separate sections for lifting to ground level and placing in a designated processing area. Here the steelwork was cut to 5’ sections using a combination of excavator mounted shear and hot works.
- Site establishment
- Erection of boundary fencing to segregate working area from live operations
- The creation of a drop zone and processing area
- The removal of steel profile sheeting
- Removal of hoppers and internal components
- Section demolition of the hopper housing.
- High level Structures
- Live cement works
- Working around live services
- Control of cement dust