WRW Construction Ltd
The former Custom House and York Hotel buildings in the center of Cardiff were redundant for a number of years prior to planning approval for a 20 storey Premier Inn hotel, with bar and restaurant.
Bond Demolition Ltd worked closely with WRW during the tender period taking account of the development proposals to ‘sensitively redevelop’ Custom House, retaining its listed façade, and bringing it back into productive use. The York Hotel site was demolished.
All works were undertaken ‘in-house’ including licensed asbestos removal, the strip out of internal fixtures and fittings, forming of internal openings to facilitate the erection of the façade retention system. Subsequently the hand and mechanical demolition could be completed in and around the support structure, followed by uplifting of slabs and foundations and removal of demolition arisings offsite to a licensed facility.
- Asbestos removal as positively identified in the survey
- Soft strip and removal of loose materials
- Create openings in order to facilitate the façade retention
- Forming concrete bases to receive the support framework
- Hand and mechanical demolition using a hi-reach rig
- City center working
- Space constraints of site
- Hi-Reach demolition
- Deliveries in and out during specific times
- Proximity of the main railway line